Sports development officer

What they do

Sports development officers promote participation in sport amongst all members of the community. They work with sporting clubs, local councils and the wider community to ensure that people of all ages and ability can access sporting facilities so they can increase their physical activity and lead healthier lives. Sports development officers may also work with teams and individuals to improve their performance.

Working conditions

Sports development officers work both indoors and outdoors, in a variety of weather conditions. Working hours can vary from week to week and may include weekends and evenings, when most people are participating in sport or other fitness activities. They have a high degree of contact with people of all ages and from a variety of backgrounds. Sports development officers work with sporting clubs and local councils throughout Western Australia.

Tools and technologies

Sports development officers will often be required to drive between various sporting clubs and venues. While they may not have to be experts in all the sports that they are promoting, it is advantageous to be familiar with a wide range of sports and the different equipment that each uses. They also use computers to keep a record of the promotions and programs they have running, and how effective they are.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a sports development officer you usually need to gain a qualification in sport development, sports science or a related field.

The Certificate III and IV in Sport and Recreation and the Diploma of Sport Development are offered at TAFE colleges and registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

You can also complete a degree majoring in sports science or a related field.

Most universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

Learn more about your study options

Required registration and licensing