Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CaLD) specialist services
The Jobs and Skills Centre assists people from a Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CaLD) background with a specialist service to access education, training and employment so that they can live independently in the community. This service provided by Mercycare is available to people living anywhere in Western Australia and is delivered from offices in Mirrabooka (north metropolitan) and Cannington (south metropolitan), see Visit Us for contact details. Centres are open from 9:00am - 4:30pm each day.
This service has been operating for over a decade and is provided by specialist employment support and career development practitioners with many years of experience in designing and delivering employment programs focused on the needs of people from a CaLD background.
Each year, Mercycare works with around 1,000 jobseekers to help them in their employment journey.
The CaLD specialist service is open to anyone needing assistance with training, education and employment support from a culturally and linguistically diverse background – all ages, no restrictions on types of visa held or length of time in Australia.
Services available include:
- Meetings to establish individual capacities, needs and goals;
- Advice about the current and future job market;
- Providing information and referrals to relevant education and training options;
- Assistance in acquiring relevant licenses and certifications;
- Developing realistic and achievable career action plans and providing short and long term career options;
- Finding work experience, voluntary work and other opportunities to build experience;
- Helping with the development of resumes and applications;
- Guidance on how to conduct effective job searches;
- Interviewing skills and tips;
- Contact with employers to seek work opportunities and post-placement support; and
- Free workshops on career options and employability skills conducted throughout the year.
MercyCare is part of the Unity Employment Network which connects Western Australian employers with jobseekers from asylum seeker, refugee and new migrant backgrounds.
As employers, there are many opportunities to support access to employment for people from a refugee or asylum seeker background. The helpful Guide for WA Employers is available from MercyCare and the team at Unity Employment Network would be happy to answer any questions you have via email - firstname.lastname@example.org