Physical education (PE) teacher

What they do

PE teachers instruct and supervise school students in sports and other physical fitness activities. They teach the basic skills, techniques and rules associated with a wide range of team and individual sports, and encourage students to lead a healthy and active life. In most schools, PE teachers are responsible for organising and coordinating annual athletics, swimming and cross-country sports carnivals, both within the school and in competition with other local schools. In some cases, PE teachers may also teach students about other health issues, such as nutrition, sexuality and drug use.

Working conditions

PE teachers work in public and private schools throughout Western Australia. They often work outdoors, though lessons may be taken indoors in extreme heat or rain. While standard school hours are generally between 9 and 3, all teachers, including PE teachers, may be required to start earlier and finish later, in order to plan lessons or run extracurricular activities, such as coaching a school sports team. Many PE teachers are also qualified to teach at least one other subject, such as health education or society and environment.

Tools and technologies

PE teachers use a range of sporting equipment depending on their teaching program. When teaching inside a classroom they may use a range of education aides, such as white-boards, text books, and posters. In most cases they will also need basic computer skills, particularly when compiling reports on a student's performance.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a physical education teacher you usually need to study a degree in education, majoring in health and physical education.

Alternatively you can study a degree in exercise and health, sport science, movement science, or a relevant area, followed by a postgraduate qualification in education.

Most universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a schoolteacher in Western Australia, you will need to obtain registration from the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA).

You also need to hold a current Working With Children Check (WWCC) from the Department of Communities, and complete a National Police History Check conducted by the Department of Education Screening Unit.


You may also be interested in