Art teacher

What they do

Art teachers working in schools teach students painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, sculpture and ceramics. Art teachers teaching in secondary school teach the practical skills and theory of various art forms, and may also teach the history of these art forms. Depending on the school's facilities, art teachers may set-up and operate kilns, photographic darkrooms or other specialist art studios and/or equipment. When planning lessons and projects they must ensure that there are sufficient art supplies and tools for all students. Some art teachers may arrange exhibitions of student art work within a school and the local community. They may also work privately or at art centres.

Working conditions

Most art teachers work in private and public schools throughout Western Australia - teaching students from Year 1 through to Year 12. While they work regular school hours, they are also expected to work additional hours to prepare for lessons, attend staff meetings and carry out administrative tasks, such as marking and report writing. Teachers in any discipline (including art) are also expected to attend regular professional development courses.

Tools and technologies

Art teachers work with a range of media and materials, which may include pencils, paints, palette knives, dyes, paper, canvases, clay and textiles. Some art teachers may also use textbooks, whiteboards and other standard classroom equipment, especially when teaching art theory and history. They may also use computers, especially when they are teaching digital art forms, and when writing student performance reports.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become an art teacher, you usually need to study a degree in education majoring in visual arts education.

Alternatively you can study a degree in visual arts or fine art, followed by a postgraduate degree in education.

Most universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a school teacher in Western Australia, you will need to obtain registration from the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA).

You also need to obtain a current Working With Children Check (WWCC) from the Department of Communities, and complete a National Police History Check conducted by theDepartment of Education Screening Unit.

You may also be interested in