Nursing clinical director

What they do

Nursing clinical directors oversee the planning, organisation, direction and coordination of the clinical nursing services in a hospital, aged care or other healthcare facility or service. They provide nursing leadership and professional guidance to nursing staff and ensure nurses and midwives deliver safe, effective and reliable health care to patients.

They manage administrative functions such as record keeping, budgeting, health service planning, and workforce planning. They also promote working relationships with community agencies.

Working conditions

Nursing clinical directors work in a variety of settings, including private or public hospitals, aged and palliative care nursing homes, or community metropolitan or regional health services throughout the State.

They often organise and attend meetings with community organisations, nurse managers and the upper management of the health service to ensure the smooth running of the health care facility.

Tools and technologies

Nursing clinical directors regularly use computers to coordinate administrative duties such as record keeping, health service planning, reporting and budgeting. They may also consult and reference government and health legislation policies, and consult other resources to keep up to date with current nursing practices. Nursing clinical directors working in rural areas may also require a drivers licence.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a nursing clinical director, you must first become a qualified registered nurse and then gain sufficient practical experience as a nurse. You usually also need to complete postgraduate study in management.

To become a registered nurse, you usually need to study a degree in nursing at university.

Most universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses in nursing, and postgraduate courses in health care management. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a nurse in Western Australia, you will need to obtain registration from the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia.

You will need to hold a current Working with Children Check (WWCC) issued by the Department of Communities and obtain a National Police Certificate.