What they do

Kitchenhands assists cooks or chefs within a working kitchen. They wash, peel and prepare foodstuffs and help to prepare simple dishes. They wash and clean utensils, dishes and benches that are used in the kitchen. They may also sort and store food stuffs, dispose of rubbish, organise the laundering of linen and clean various food preparation equipment and floors.

Working conditions

A kitchenhand's job can be very stressful, especially during peak periods. Kitchenhands are generally required to work shifts, and may be required to work shiftwork, and weekends and public holidays. Normal hours are 38 hours per week. Kitchenhands usually need to stand for most of the working day and kitchens can be hot and humid. Turnover in this occupation is high.

Tools and technologies

Kitchenhands need to be proficient with knives and other kitchen equipment. They may also need to use large commercial dishwashing machines.

How do I become one?

Education and training

You can work as a kitchenhand without any formal qualifications and get training on the job. However, entry into this occupation may be improved by obtaining a qualification in hospitality.

The Certificates I and II in Hospitality and Certificate II in Kitchen Operations are offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

You can also undertake a traineeship in hospitality (catering operations) (level 2). The traineeship takes nine months to complete and is available as a school-based traineeship.

Learn more about your study options.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Required registration and licensing