Welfare worker

What they do

Welfare workers work with individuals, families and groups with difficulties to improve their quality of life by empowering, educating and supporting them to help them work towards positive change in their lives.

Welfare workers may assist individuals or groups with social, emotional or financial difficulties. They may support and help clients access professional services for issues such as unemployment, marital problems, homelessness, illness or drug abuse. They may also provide intensive short-term crisis counselling for victims of domestic abuse, disasters and other crises.

Working conditions

Welfare workers may work for government departments, local councils, hospitals, or non-government support and welfare agencies. They may work in offices, in short-term or long-term accommodation services, or in refuges.

Depending on the organisation that they work for and the nature of their work, they may have to work shiftwork, including weekends and public holidays.

Tools and technologies

Welfare workers use computers and other office equipment to maintain and update their clients’ progress. They may also use computers to write reports and secure funding, and manage budgets or financial plans.

They may require a driver’s licence to travel to clients’ homes or within the community, and attend evening community meetings.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a welfare worker, you usually need to complete a qualification in community services work.

The Certificate IV in Community Services Work and the Diploma of Community Services Work are offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia. Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and My Skills to find a registered provider near you.

You can also undertake a traineeship. The community services work (level 4) traineeship usually takes 24 months to complete.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a welfare worker in Western Australia, you may need to obtain a Working with Children Check from the Department of Communities. You will need to obtain a National Police Certificate.

You may also be interested in