University lecturer

What they do

University lecturers plan and direct the learning of university students in one or more specific topics, as well as conducting their own research in those areas. They write and present lectures, plan and conduct tutorials, and undertake research into topics that are closely linked to their area of expertise. They also prepare and mark assignments, examinations and other course work, provide advice to students on academic matters, attend meetings in their faculty, school or department, and undertake administrative tasks. They may also organise and run conferences. University lecturers work all over the state, at university campuses located both in Perth and in large regional centres such as Albany, Bunbury and Broome.

Working conditions

University lecturers work in the offices, lecture theatres and classrooms located within universities. Depending on their area of expertise they may also work in libraries, laboratories or research centres, and they may also work in the field offering practical training. They usually work regular business hours, but may be required to work later if their classes are scheduled for late afternoons or early mornings. They may be employed on either a full-time or a part-time basis. Full-time university lecturers usually work on-campus most of the work week, whereas part-time lecturers may be on campus only during those times that they are teaching. University lecturers may also be required to travel to attend and deliver presentations at conferences or other academic forums, or to undertake research.

Tools and technologies

University lecturers use computers, and especially word processing, power point and spreadsheet or data management software. They use overhead projectors and other audio-visual equipment in lectures and tutorials, and may also demonstrate the use of other equipment that is used specifically in their field of academic expertise.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a university lecturer, you usually need to study a postgraduate degree in an area of academic interest.

Entry to this occupation may also be improved if you have relevant industry experience, previous teaching or research experience, or if you have completed a postgraduate teaching course.

Most universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.