Travel consultant

What they do

Travel consultants assist clients in making travel arrangement for both business and holiday purposes. They help provide quotes to find the best value options available and make bookings for transport, accommodation, sightseeing activities and other travel related activities a client may need.

Working conditions

Working conditions for travel consultants depend on which area you are working in. Travel consultants working in the retail sector work standard retail trading hours, which may include Saturdays and Thursday evenings. Some travel consultants work in call centres, which may require longer shifts, including weekends and evenings.

Tools and technologies

Travel consultants use computers and telephones to carry out their work.

How do I become one?

Education and training

It is possible to work as a travel consultant without formal qualifications and get training on the job. However, entry into this occupation may be improved by obtaining a qualification in travel, tourism or a related area. Experience in sales and/or personal travel may also be beneficial.

 The Certificate II in Tourism, Certificate III in Tourism, Certificate III in Travel and Certificate IV in Travel and Tourism are offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

 You can also undertake a traineeship in travel and tourism officer (level 4) and international retail travel sales (level 3). The traineeships take between 18 and 24 months to complete.

 Learn more about your study options

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Required registration and licensing