Training and development professional

What they do

Training officers develop and conduct an organisation's training and development program. They often consult with an organisation's management and staff to identify areas where training is necessary to improve aspects such as efficiency and safety. Training officers work in industries all over Western Australia, from corporate offices in the centre of Perth through to retail chains and fast food companies with stores in towns and cities state-wide. Training usually covers areas such as occupational health and safety, operating equipment, preparing for retirement, management and leadership skills, general clerical duties and/or industrial relations. Most training officers specialise in only one or two fields, so larger organisations may employ more than one.

Working conditions

Working conditions for training officers depend largely on the subjects they teach. In many cases they work indoors, in an office or classroom environment, though they may also work in workshops or outdoors. They often conduct training at a client's workplace, which in some instances may require them to complete a safety induction, particularly if visiting a construction or mine site. Depending on the size and structure of an organisation, training officers may be required to travel interstate or even overseas to assess a workplace and deliver training.

Most training officers work regular hours, however, they may also work evening and weekends, depending on a client's specific needs.

Tools and technologies

Most training officers use computers and various types of audio-visual equipment, such as projectors and microphones, to deliver training. A range of other equipment may also be used, depending on the specific training being delivered. For instance, a training officer teaching staff how to use a new piece of industrial machinery would need to be able to use it correctly themselves.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a training and development professional, you usually need to gain a formal qualification in human resource management, training and development or a related area. You may also be required to have significant experience in the area in which you offer training.

The Diploma of Training Design and Development and the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment are also offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia. Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and Search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

Most universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.