Telecommunications linesworker

What they do

Telecommunications linesworkers install, maintain and repair the infrastructure needed for the telecommunications network in Western Australia. This includes the aerial lines, underground cables, and radio and mobile phone antennae used for telephone, pay television, radio and internet networks

While most telecommunications linesworkers work for telecommunications companies, there are employment opportunities with the Australian Defence Force as Army Telecommunications Technicians.

Working conditions

Telecommunications linesworkers work all over Western Australia to maintain the infrastructure needed for our telecommunications networks. They generally work normal business hours but may be on call for after-hours emergencies. Depending on their location, some travel may be required.

Telecommunications linesworkers can be required to work at heights or in confined spaces. As they often work outdoors, they can be exposed to weather conditions. Telecommunications linesworkers wear safety equipment and/or protective clothing, as needed.

Tools and technologies

Telecommunications linesworkers work with different telecommunications infrastructure, including aerial wires, and underground cables and radio and mobile phone antennae. They use electrical instruments to locate faults in telecommunications infrastructure and use special equipment to join cables and seal sheaths. Telecommunications lineworkers may also use elevated platforms to work on aerial wires.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a telecommunications linesworker you usually need to undertake an apprenticeship or traineeship.

The Data and Voice Communications Technician apprenticeship usually takes 48 months to complete. The telecommunications (cabling) (level 2), telecommunications (level 2 and level 3), and telecommunications cabling and customer premises equipment (level 3) traineeships usually take 12 months to complete. The level 2 traineeships are available as school-based traineeships.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a telecommunications linesworker undertaking cabling activities in Western Australia, you will need to obtain registration from an Australian Communications and Media Authority authorised registrar or work under the supervision of a registered cabler.

If your role entails working at heights, you may also need to obtain a high risk work licence from WorkSafe.