Technical cable jointer

What they do

Cable jointers lay, joint, terminate and repair underground power cable. Cable jointers lay new power cables through underground pipes and terminate them at electrical equipment. They also conduct tests to check cable integrity and locate faults.

Working conditions

Cable jointers work outdoors in most weather conditions, and may be in confined spaces. In order to minimise the risks associated with working with high-voltage electricity, they must follow strict safety requirements. They may also be expected to be on call to respond to emergencies that occur outside of regular hours.

Cable jointers can be employed by government owned electricity network operates, by specialised cable jointing companies, by electrical contractors or by large companies who operate their own private electricity network.

Tools and technologies

Cable jointers lay insulated power cables and use specialised tools and electrical equipment to joint and terminate these cables. They also use electrical instruments, such as multimeters, insulation resistance testers and specialised instruments to assess the cables integrity and whether it is performing appropriately.

Safety is a key concern when working with power cables, so cable jointers must wear protective clothing including, protective clothing, safety footwear, safety glasses and for some tasks they must wear specialised personal protective equipment.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a technical cable jointer you usually need to undertake an apprenticeship in Electrical Supply Industry (ESI) cable jointing (level 3). The apprenticeship usually takes 48 months to complete.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a technical cable jointer in Western Australia you may need to obtain an electrical licence from the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety

You may also be interested in