Teachers aide

What they do

Teacher's aides assist teaching staff in schools by performing non-teaching duties such as care and supervision for children. They assist and participate in learning activities, prepare learning areas and activities, and provide individual assistance to students, particularly those with learning, physical or behavioural difficulties.

Teacher's aides are needed throughout the state, from the large schools in our cities and towns to the small remote schools in isolated country areas.

Specialisations include: School Services Officer, Student Liaison Officer, Teachers' Assistant

Working conditions

Teachers aides work mostly indoors in classrooms, libraries and other buildings in public and private schools, although they may also accompany school classes on field trips or outdoor activities. They often work part-time, but may also be employed on an ongoing basis, and they work within school hours, between 8am and 4pm. During their work they meet and connect with children, parents, teachers and other members of school staff. Teacher's aide work is more prevalent in pre-primary and primary education, however opportunities may also be available in secondary education for students with special needs.

Tools and technologies

Teachers' aides are often required to make copies of education resources, and may need to be familiar with photocopying equipment. They may also need to be familiar with word processing and other computer programs.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a teachers’ aide you usually need to gain a qualification in education support.

The Certificates III and IV in Education Support are offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

You can also undertake a traineeship in education support.

The Aboriginal and Islander education worker (Level 3 and Level 4) traineeships usually take 12 months to complete.

Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

Learn more about your study options.



Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a teachers’ aide in Western Australia you will need to obtain a current Working With Children Check from the Department of Communities and undertake a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check conducted by the Department of Education’s Screening Unit.