Teacher of the deaf and hard-of hearing

What they do

Teachers of the deaf and hard-of hearing educate primary or secondary school students who are deaf or hard of hearing. They plan and conduct educational programs that promote the intellectual, physical and social growth of students and support students in the development of their literacy, numeracy and other academic skills.

Teachers of the deaf and hard-of hearing may teach a wide range of subjects in a support unit for the hearing impaired, or help support students in classes in mainstream schools. They may use a variety of signed languages to teach and communicate in the classroom.

Working conditions

Teacher of the deaf and hard-of hearing may work in specialist schools or facilities for hearing impaired students. They may also work as visiting teachers to provide support to hearing impaired students and their teachers, educational assistants or interpreters.

Teacher of the deaf and hard-of hearing usually work regular school hours, but may be required to work additional hours to prepare for classes and to attend staff meetings.

Tools and technologies

Teachers of the deaf and hard-of hearing may use a variety of assistive technologies in their classroom. They may use sound enhancement technology, such as classroom-wide amplification systems, or personal radio systems consisting of a microphone worn by the teacher that transmits their voice to the student’s receiver. They may also use interactive whiteboards or multimedia with captions.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a teacher of the deaf and hard-of hearing, you usually need to study a degree in primary or secondary education, specialising in special needs teaching.

Alternatively, you can complete a degree in a relevant study area, followed by a postgraduate qualification in education. You may also need to undertake further postgraduate study in special needs education to specialise in teaching special needs students.

All universities in Western Australia offer relevant undergraduate teaching courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

You can also specialise in Education: Deaf Hard of Hearing at Macquarie University in Sydney.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a teacher of the deaf and hard-of hearing in Western Australia, you will need to obtain registration with the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA). You will need to obtain a Working with Children Check from the Department of Communities and undergo a National Police History Check (NPHC) conducted by the Department of Education Screening Unit.