Stockbroking dealer

What they do

Stockbroking dealers buy and sell shares, stocks and bonds within the exchange market, on the behalf of their clients. They provide them with the most current and relevant information on securities, market conditions and government regulations.

Stockbroking dealers must have expert knowledge about market and economic trends as well as investment strategies and portfolios. They must use the information available to them to make profitable investments for their clients.

Working conditions

Stockbroking dealers usually work in offices and stock exchanges, and generally work long hours in high-pressured environments.

Their working hours often coincide with the opening and closing times of the stock exchanges that they follow. Although they mostly work in cities, they may work independently for finance companies throughout Western Australia.

Tools and technologies

Stockbroking dealers use computers and other general office equipment. They work with a range of word and data processing programs and specialised financial software programs that are relevant to their work. They use also securities reports and financial periodicals to stay up to date with market cycles.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a stockbroking dealer you usually need to complete a degree in commerce, majoring in finance and financial planning.

The Bachelor of Commerce, majoring in Finance and Financial Planning at Curtin University is currently the only undergraduate degree in Western Australia approved under these standards by the Financial Adviser Standards and Ethics Authority.

The list of approved and relevant courses available in Western Australia may change over time. Contact the Financial Adviser Standards and Ethics Authority for more information.

Following your studies, you will be required to undertake a professional year, which includes 100 hours of training, and pass the Financial Adviser Standards and Ethics Authority exam.

From 1 January 2019 changes to the Corporations Amendment (Professional Standards of Financial Advisers) Act 2017 mandate that every person entering the profession of financial planning (i.e. financial advisers) must complete a minimum Bachelor degree approved by the Financial Adviser Standards and Ethics Authority. VET graduates may potentially have modified employment outcomes as they will no longer meet the licensing requirements to be employed as a financial planner, financial adviser or any occupation that directly provides financial planning/advisory advice to retail clients.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a stockbroking dealer in Western Australia, you may need to obtain an Australian Financial Services (AFS) Licence from the Australian Securities and Investments Commission

In Australia, stockbrokers who wish to enter orders on buying and selling shares in a particular market need to be  registered with the Australian Securities Exchange