Recreation officer (Aus)

What they do

Recreation officers organise sporting and recreational events. They also develop and/or administer recreation policy. They prepare and/or administer financial estimates and resource allocations and coordinate and arrange meetings and venues for events. They may liaise with parents, schools, church leaders, social workers and community groups about programs and facilities. They may also recruit, train and supervise recreation leaders. They may also initiate and deliver other activities such as hobby classes, school holiday programs, public displays and cultural activities.

Working conditions

A recreation officer spends some time working in an office. They will also spend time working outdoors, including in different weather conditions. They usually spend a lot of time working with the public.

Recreation officers normally work 38 hours per week, but may need to work during the week-end and for extra hours when sporting events are being organised and run.

Tools and technologies

Recreation officers need to be proficient with a wide range of sporting equipment. They may also need to be proficient with specialised equipment for people with special needs. They will also need to have basic computer skills.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a recreation officer you usually need to gain a qualification in sport and recreation or leisure and health.

The Certificates III and IV in Sport and Recreation, and Certificate IV in Leisure and Health are offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

You can also undertake a sport and recreation (level 3 or level 4) traineeship. The traineeships usually takes 12 to 24 months to complete. The level 3 traineeship is available as a school-based apprenticeship

You can also study a degree majoring in exercise and health, sport, recreation and event management, population health, sports science or a related field.

Most universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

Learn more about your study options .


Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a recreation officer in Western Australia, you will need to obtain a Provide First Aid Certificate.

You may also be interested in