Real estate representative

What they do

Real estate sales representatives arrange the sale and leasing of different properties, under the supervision of a licensed real estate agent. They provide property owners with an estimated market value of their property. Once a price has been agreed upon, a real estate agency salesperson takes responsibility for marketing the property, conducting home opens and viewings with potential buyers. During these viewings a real estate sales representative will answer questions from potential buyers about the property and the surrounding neighbourhood, highlighting key features.

Working conditions

Real estate sales representatives work largely in offices, though they also regularly visit properties to provide owners with valuations or conduct viewings with potential buyers. They work long hours, which may include evenings and weekends. However, there is a great deal of flexibility in the hours worked.

Tools and technologies

Because real estate sales people spend a lot of time visiting clients it is essential that they have a drivers licence and access to a car. With many properties for sale or rent now listed online there is an increasing need for real estate salespeople to use laptop computers, mobile phones and digital cameras while visiting properties.

Some real estate salespeople may be required to wear uniforms, but all will be expected to maintain a high standard of personal presentation.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a real estate representative, you usually need to gain a qualification in real estate practice.

The Certificate IV in Real Estate Practice was endorsed as the qualification for real estate sales representatives in February 2019. At the time of writing, a list of Western Australian TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations offering this qualification is not yet available. Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a real estate representative in Western Australia, you must register with the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety. To register, you must be over 18 years of age and provide proof of completion of a recognised sales representative registration course. You will also need to obtain a National Police Clearance.