Property developer

What they do

Property developers research land and property opportunities and evaluate the feasibility of a project. They work out the best use for the land or property. They then plan the property development, including the schedule and costs. They may need to work with architects, builders, and local councils. As the development progresses they will visit construction sites and direct various activities.

Working conditions

Property developers work in an office and also outdoors on building sites. They may be required to do a lot of travelling between locations.

Tools and technologies

Property developers may need to be adept in using various software for project control or to keep in contact with other people on the project.

How do I become one?

Education and training

It is possible to work as a property developer without any formal qualifications and get training on the job. However, entry into this occupation may be improved by obtaining a qualification and experience related to the building industry.

You can undertake a degree with a major in property, property development and valuation or architecture.

Curtin University, the University of Western Australia and the Central Queensland University offer relevant courses. Curtin University’s Bachelor of Commerce majoring in Property Development and Valuation is the only undergraduate degree specialising in property development in Western Australia.

You may also improve your employment prospects if you study a degree in commerce or a related area. All universities in Western Australia offer relevant undergraduate courses.

Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a property developer in Western Australia, you may need to meet the registration requirements of the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.