Primary school teacher

What they do

Primary school teachers educate children between the ages of five and twelve in Western Australia. They plan and conduct educational programs that assist in the intellectual, physical and social growth of children, and aid the development of their literacy, numeracy and other academic skills. They prepare daily lesson plans that fit within wider curriculum requirements, and teach a wide range of subject areas including mathematics, English, science and technology, society and environment, health, creative arts and physical education. Primary school teachers are needed all over the state - from our busy urban areas to rural and regional centres and towns to remote communities in isolated areas.

Working conditions

Primary school teachers work in classrooms in primary schools, but may also undertake their duties in school libraries, administrative areas, outside in the playground or sports areas, and outside of school during excursions, field trips, sporting events or camps. Working conditions may be noisy or stressful. They usually work regular teaching hours, but are expected to work longer hours to plan and prepare lessons, mark work, and attend staff meetings or school events like fetes or graduation ceremonies.

Tools and technologies

Primary school teachers use a range of educational resources such as white boards, workbooks and textbooks, audio-visual texts and equipment and a range of other teaching aids. They also use computers and other office equipment, and may also, depending on their role, use art and craft materials, musical instruments or sporting equipment.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a primary school teacher, you usually need to study a degree in education, majoring in primary education. Alternatively, you can study a degree in any area followed by the completion of a postgraduate qualification specialising in primary education.

All universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a primary school teacher in Western Australia, you will need to obtain registration with the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA). You will need to obtain a Working with Children Check from the Department of Communities and undergo a National Police History Check (NPHC) conducted by the Department of Education Screening Unit.