Nurse educator

What they do

A nurse educator is responsible for the design, planning, implementation and assessment of teaching and learning for nurses within hospitals and health care facilities. They make sure that nurses keep up to date with advances in nursing, and help nurses plan their continuing professional development.

Nurse educators coordinate and assess nurses’ clinical competencies to ensure that nurses deliver safe and effective nursing care. They may also manage educational resources for nurses within the hospital or healthcare facility, and may provide support and education for other nurses undertaking research.


Working conditions

Nurse educators may work in private or public hospitals, aged care homes or other health service facilities to assist in nursing staff development or to organise clinical learning activities.

Nurse educators usually work regular business hours, but may be required to work shift work when employed in hospitals.

Tools and technologies

Nurse educators regularly use computers and office equipment, as well as educational resources.

Nurse educators may use advanced patient simulation mannequins to imitate emergencies and demonstrate aspects of nursing care.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a nurse educator, you must first become a qualified registered nurse. You will need to gain sufficient practical experience as a nurse in the area you wish to work. You will also need complete a postgraduate degree in nurse education or gain a qualification in training and assessment.

To become a registered nurse, you usually need to study a degree in nursing at university. Most universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

Edith Cowan University offers an 18 month Master of Nurse Education. This is the only university offering a postgraduate nurse educator course in Western Australia. Contact the university for more information.

The Certificate IV in Training and Assessment is offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia. To find a training provider near you, browse the Jobs and Skills WA website or visit the My Skills website.


Required registration and licensing

To work as a nurse educator in Western Australia, you will need to obtain registration from the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia. You will also need to hold a current Working with Children Check (WWC Check). Visit the Working with Children website for information on how to apply for a WWC Check.