What they do

Nannies care for one or more children usually in the child's home. This may include feeding, washing, dressing, supervising learning activities and play, planning and supervising activities and outings, taking children to school, preparing meals and snacks, doing light laundry and housework, and applying first aid if required. In many cases the nanny will have sole responsibility for the children and will be required to communicate with the parents on various aspects of their care.

Working conditions

Nannies who are employed full-time may be required to live in their employer's home and work evenings and week-ends. Depending on the number and ages of the children, the work can be demanding and stressful.

Tools and technologies

With the increase in technology for entertainment (computers, play stations etc.) nannies may need to be aware of these and supervise their use by children.

How do I become one?

Education and training

It is possible to work as a nanny without any formal qualifications and get training on the job. However, entry into this occupation may be improved by obtaining a qualification in early childhood education and care.

The Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care is offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

Learn more about your study options.



Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a nanny in Western Australia you will need to obtain a National Police Clearance and a Working with Children Check issued by the Working with Children Screening Unit of the Department of Communities.

You may also need to obtain a Senior First Aid Certificate.



You may also be interested in