Music teacher (private tuition)

What they do

Music teachers help students to develop their theoretical music skills, as well as instructing them in singing or playing musical instruments. They plan lessons based around the skill level of their students and teach them how to read, play or sing music. They also introduce their students to different styles of music, teach them the different practical applications of music theory, and discuss key concepts of music history, musical form and musical analysis with their students. Music teachers may also prepare students for musical exams or assessments, record their progress, mark their students' work, and organise rehearsals and performances for schools bands and choirs. Music teachers work right round the state in our cities and towns.

Working conditions

Music teachers either work as classroom teachers who usually lead classes of students in weekly music lessons and group music activities, or as one-on-one tutors who teach students how to play one specific instrument. They may work in school classrooms and offices, from home, at their student's home, at a studio space or music school, or in rented public spaces such as a community hall or recreation centre. Classroom-based music teachers work regular school hours as well as longer hours to attend meetings, mark work and take care of administrative duties, whilst independent music teachers work irregular hours at times that are convenient for their students. They generally require quiet spaces to teach, and may need to organise for instruments such as pianos or drum kits to be available. They may need to travel to get to their lessons.

Tools and technologies

Music teachers use a range of musical instruments, as well as music reference books, sheet music, music stands and other musical equipment. They may use music recording equipment and audio-visual devices as teaching aids, and may also use computers and specialist musical software to teach the theoretical or practical aspects of music.

How do I become one?

Education and training

It is possible to work as a private music teacher without any formal qualifications and get training on the job. However, entry into this occupation may be improved by obtaining a qualification in music or a related area.

Vocational education and training qualifications in music industry (performance) are offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and Search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

You can study a degree in music or music studies. Most universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

Most courses require an audition and you may be required to demonstrate a high level of musical proficiency.

Required registration and licensing

If working with children in this occupation in Western Australia, you must obtain a Working with Children Check (WWCC) from the Department of Communities.