Migration agent (Aus)

What they do

Migration agents provide advice and assistance to people wishing to obtain visas to enter or remain in Australia. They consult with individuals and families who are seeking to immigrate to Australia, help them to efficiently and effectively fill out their visa applications, and discuss the alternate ways in which they can apply to immigrate to Australia. They also assemble all the appropriate documentation that makes up a visa application package and send these to their clients, as well as lodging applications on behalf of their clients. They also offer advice on cases where a visa has been refused, and may also offer assistance to refugees in obtaining protection visas. Most migration agents work in cities and large regional centres.

Working conditions

Migration agents usually work in the offices of legal organisations such as law firms. However, they may be self-employed. They work regular hours but may be required to work longer hours. They may travel to consult with clients who are seeking to prolong their visa, or who are applying for a visa if in detention. Migration agents may be required to deal with emotional situations.

Tools and technologies

Migration agents use computers and other office equipment. They may spend a significant amount of their time on the phone consulting with clients who are overseas or in Australia. They consult textbooks, journals and other legal documents to stay up to date with migration law.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a migration agent, you usually need to study a degree in law, or complete a Graduate Diploma in Australian Migration Law and Practice, and complete a Capstone assessment.

Most universities in Western Australia offer relevant undergraduate courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

Murdoch University offers the Graduate Diploma in Australian Migration Law and Practice. The course usually takes twelve months to complete and requires completion of a bachelor degree in any field or relevant professional experience.

The Capstone assessment can be undertaken through The College of Law.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a migration agent in Western Australia, you will need to obtain registration from the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority.


You may also be interested in