Meat inspector

What they do

Meat inspectors inspect animals, animal products and meat processing facilities to ensure compliance with Western Australian government and industry standards of quality and health. They test samples of produce for quality, size and purity, as well as monitor quality procedures at farms and processing facilities.

Meat inspectors may inspect domestic and export meat-processing facilities located in the regions east of Perth such as Tammin, Corrigin and Coolgardie, or in the south and south-east of the State such as Harvey, Bunbury, Denmark and Katanning.

Working conditions

Meat inspectors inspect meat processing facilities and handle meat during the testing process. They may come into contact with blood or hazardous substances and must adhere to strict health and safety standards, which requires wearing personal protective clothing. The working conditions in the processing facilities are usually kept clean, well-lit and ventilated. Meat inspectors may spend most of their day standing up.

Tools and technologies

Meat inspectors need to be proficient in the use of knives to examine meat products and carcasses, and collect samples. They use special testing kits to analyse the chlorine levels in water used in processing the meat, and they record inspection data results. They may be required to wear special clothing such as hairnets or snoods, gloves, boots and aprons.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a meat inspector, you usually need to undertake a traineeship in meat inspector. The meat inspector and meat inspector/quality assurance officer traineeships usually take 24 months to complete.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

You may also be interested in