What they do

Joiners assemble prepared timber to form structures and ready-to-install fittings. This involves cutting timber joints and cutting timber to template size and shape. They may also repair existing fittings, work with plastic laminates, perspex or metals.

Working conditions

Joiners normally work 38 hours, Monday to Friday in a workshop or at a clients' home or business. Overtime may be necessary when there are deadlines to meet. Joiners typically work in a noisy and dusty environment.

Most joiners are employed within a manufacturing business, preparing and assembling timber components off-site such as stairs, balustrades, specialised doors, frames, etc, ready for installation on-site.

Tools and technologies

Joiners use wood-cutting machines, and hand and air powered tools. They may also work with jigs and templates as well as tools suited to working with perspex or metal.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a joiner, you usually need to undertake a carpentry and joinery, joiner or joinery apprenticeship. The apprenticeships usually take between 24 to 48 months to complete and is available as a school-based apprenticeship.

You may improve your chances of gaining an apprenticeship by undertaking the Certificate II in Construction (Pathways – Trades) (carpentry and joinery pre-apprenticeship or Certificate II in Building and Construction (Pathway – Trades), offered at 

TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia. Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

You may also improve your chances of gaining an apprenticeship by undertaking a traineeship in building and construction trade. The traineeship usually takes 12 months to complete and is available as a school-based traineeship.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Required registration and licensing

Joiners working in the construction industry must undergo safety induction training and be issued with a Construction Induction Training Card (commonly known as a "White Card"). In WA, training is conducted by registered training organisations authorised by WorkSafe.