What they do

Jackaroos/Jillaroos are employed by cattle or sheep station owners to perform various activities associated with the day-to-day operations of a cattle station. These may include mustering on motorbike or horseback, caring for livestock, maintaining and repairing station equipment, using and maintaining farming equipment, performing farm work associated with crops, as well as clerical and administrative tasks.

Working conditions

A Jackaroo/Jillaroo largely works outside in all kinds of weather conditions and usually starts work early in the morning. They generally work long hours. They may be required to live in shared accommodation on a station property.

Tools and technologies

Jackaroos/Jillaroos may need to be proficient with a wide range of farming machinery and hand tools. It is also an advantage if they have the ability to maintain or repair farming machinery.

How do I become one?

Education and training

It is possible to work as a jackaroo or jillaroo without any formal qualifications and get training on the job. However, entry into this occupation may be improved by obtaining a qualification in agriculture, rural operations or a related area.

Certificate II and Certificate III in Agriculture, and Certificate II and Certificate III in Rural Operations are offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia. Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

You can also undertake a traineeship in agriculture (level 2 or level 3) or rural operations (level 2 or level 3). The traineeships usually take 12 to 18 months to complete and the level 2 traineeships are available as school-based traineeships.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.