Human resource adviser

What they do

Human resource advisers administrate and organise the recruitment and employment of an organisation's workforce. They are also responsible for processes that concern personnel, such as health and safety, conditions of employment, pensions, employee relations and staff training. They maintain records on matters, such as wages, superannuation, leave and training, and prepare reports on these matters. They may also advise management on policies and procedures regarding personnel, and take part in negotiations between employees and management, or between unions and employers.

Working conditions

Human resource advisers work mostly in office environments, and may work for organisations that operate in any industry. In Western Australia, this may include work with mining or agricultural companies, and may include fly-in/fly-out work. In small organisations they will usually be responsible for all areas of human resource management, but in larger organisations they may specialise in one particular area.

Tools and technologies

As they work mostly in offices, human resource advisersusually use standard office equipment such as computers, photocopiers, fax machines, telephones and messaging systems. They will also generally require experience with a range of software, including word processing software, data processing and spreadsheet software, and any other programs that may be specific to their area of work.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a human resource advisor, you usually need to gain a qualification in human resources or a related area.

The Certificate IV in Human Resource Management or Diploma in Human Resource Management is offered at TAFE Colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia. The Advanced Diploma of Management (Human Resources) is available at Western Australian registered training organisations.

Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

You can also undertake a traineeship in human resources (level 4). The traineeship usually takes 12 months to complete.

You can also complete a degree majoring in human resource management. Most universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.