Grain, oilseed or pasture grower

Also known as:

  • Grain oilseed or pasture grower

What they do

In Western Australia, grain, oilseed or pasture growers plan, organise and manage the production of crops such as wheat, oats and barley, oilseeds (for example canola), and ryegrass for pasture crops. They manage farming operations including the harvesting and storage of produce, the sale of produce, budgeting and business management, staff management, and property maintenance. They usually work in rural regions ranging from the north through to the south and south-west of the State.

Specialisations include: Lucerne Farmer, Soybean Grower, Wheat Farmer

Working conditions

Grain, oilseed or pasture growers work on the farm in an office setting and outdoors in the fields in all kinds of weather. They work long hours every day and during harvest season these hours can increase substantially. They operate heavy machinery, and chemicals and fertilisers are used in crop production. Adhering to occupational health and safety standards largely reduces the risk of injury.

Tools and technologies

Grain, oilseed or pasture growers use heavy machinery including tractors, header/combine harvesters and mobile plants such as grain silos. Protective clothing such as gloves, goggles, coveralls, high visibility clothing and broad-brimmed hats are generally worn to minimise risks. They also need to be proficient with computers and may need to use specialised farm management software.

How do I become one?

Education and training

You can work as a grain, oilseed and pasture grower without formal qualifications. However, entry to into this occupation may be improved by obtaining a qualification in agriculture or a related area.

The Diploma of Agriculture is offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia. Browse the Jobs and Skills WA and My Skills websites to find a training provider near you.

You can also complete a degree majoring in agribusiness or agricultural science.

Some universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

You may also be interested in