What they do

Gasfitters install, test, maintain and repair gas lines, meters, regulators and the downstream piping systems of billing meters. This may include hot water systems, liquefied petroleum gas systems and other gas appliances, such as gas heaters and heat pumps. They measure, cut, shape and fit gas pipes, test the systems they are installing, and fit them into homes, businesses and other buildings.

Working conditions

Gasfitters work in a range of locations including homes, businesses and a range of commercial and industrial buildings including schools and hospitals. They may work in confined spaces and conditions may be hot and dirty. As they work with LPG gas, they need to maintain a strict approach to safety.

Tools and technologies

Gasfitters use hand and power tools such as wrenches, spanners, saws, cutters and welding gear. They cut, bend, join and fix piping that is usually made out of materials, such as lead, copper, aluminium, plastic, zinc and iron. They also need to be familiar with the products that they are installing, such as hot water systems, meters and regulators.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a gasfitter, you usually need to undertake an apprenticeship in plumbing and gasfitting. The plumbing and gasfitting apprenticeship usually takes 48 months to complete and is available as a school-based apprenticeship.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a gasfitter in Western Australia, you must be licensed and obtain a gasfitting permit issued by the EnergySafety Division of the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.

To work as a gasfitter within the construction industry you will need to obtain a Construction Induction Card (also known as a “white card”) from a registered training organisation authorised by the WorkSafe Division of the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.

You may also be interested in