Furniture removalist

What they do

Furniture removalists move domestic and commercial furniture between different locations locally or interstate. Activities may include examining the items to be moved, packing and labelling articles, loading goods and boxes into trucks and ensuring that they are completely secure, driving to and from locations, then unloading and unpacking items. They may also be required to keep an inventory of items, and maintain or clean their truck.

Working conditions

Furniture removalists may work long hours and be away from home for extended periods, especially if they drive country or interstate. The work can involve lots of lifting.

Tools and technologies

Furniture removalists may need to be able to drive loading equipment such as forklifts, as well as large removal vans.

How do I become one?

Education and training

It is possible to work as a furniture removalist without any formal qualifications and get training on the job.

You can also undertake a traineeship in furniture removal (level 2 or level 3). The traineeships usually take between 12 and 24 months to complete, and the level 2 traineeship is available as a school-based traineeship. 

Search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a furniture removalist in Western Australia you will need to obtain from the Department of Transport the appropriate driver’s license for any furniture removal truck that you drive.