Financial investment adviser

What they do

Financial investment advisers provide advice to clients on the purchase and sale of stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and market-related investments. They meet with clients to discuss ways for them to better manage their financial investments. They research and analyse aspects of the economy such as trends in stock markets, the price of individual stocks and bonds, as well as informing their clients about changes to taxes, laws or market environments that may affect their investments.

Working conditions

Financial investment advisers usually work in an office environment, although they may travel to meet with their clients or visit their homes. They may work independently or as part of a team, and also work with other professionals such as lawyers, stockbrokers and accountants to develop financial packages for their clients. Financial investment advisers need to build a good rapport with their clients so that they will trust them with their finances. They usually work regular hours, but may be required to meet their clients outside of regular working hours. They may be required to work longer hours at times.

Tools and technologies

Financial investment advisors use computers and relevant software, such as budget, financial planning and data management software. They also use calculators, telephones and other office equipment such as photocopiers, fax machines and telephones.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a financial investment advisor you usually need to complete a degree in finance, economics, accounting or commerce.

All universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

The education and training requirements for this occupation are undergoing a formal review. This may or may not lead to changes in the requirements.

From 1 January 2019 changes to the Corporations Amendment (Professional Standards of Financial Advisers) Act 2017 mandate that every person entering the profession of financial planning (i.e. financial advisers) must complete a minimum Bachelor degree approved by the Financial Adviser Standards and Ethics Authority. VET graduates may potentially have modified employment outcomes as they will no longer meet the licensing requirements to be employed as a financial planner, financial adviser or any occupation that directly provides financial planning/advisory advice to retail clients.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a financial investment advisor in Western Australia, you may need to obtain an Australian Financial Services licence (AFS) and registration from the Australian Security and Investments Commission (ASIC).

You may also be interested in