Enrolled nurse

What they do

Enrolled nurses assist in the provision of nursing care under the supervision of a registered nurse. They assist with health assessments, measure and record the temperature, pulse or blood pressure of patients, administer medications, and attend to patients' comfort or hygiene needs. Enrolled nurses may also assist in emergency situations and rehabilitation exercises, and may provide patients with health education. They may also need to provide advice and training on infant care to parents of newborn infants.

They may work in one of the State's many hospitals, in aged-care facilities or other health-care settings.

Working conditions

Enrolled nurses may work in general medical practices, community health practices, hospitals, aged-care facilities or after-hour clinics. They are expected to adhere to the strict rules and regulations necessary to ensure that these environments are kept safe and sterile. Enrolled nurses may be exposed to bodily fluids and other unsanitary or hazardous materials, so must wear any necessary safety clothing. Depending on the organisation for which they work, they may be required to work long shifts, odd hours and weekends.

Tools and technologies

As they work in a medical environment, enrolled nurses need to be familiar with medical and surgical instruments such as thermometers, stethoscopes and otoscopes for examining ears, as well as specialist machines such as electrocardiographs (ECGs) and other monitoring equipment. They also need to know how to correctly apply dressings to wounds and plaster to make casts, and how to administer immunisations and vaccines using syringes. They usually also need to be familiar with computers for the entry of patient data into electronic record keeping systems.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become an enrolled nurse, you usually need to gain a vocational education and training qualification in nursing.

The Diploma of Nursing is offered at registered training organisations throughout Western Australia (WA). Only approved programs of study lead to registration as an enrolled nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA). Approved programs are listed on the NMBA’s website.

Required registration and licensing

To work as an enrolled nurse in Western Australia, you will need to obtain registration from the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia website. You will also need to hold a current Working with Children Check (WWC Check). Visit the Working with Children website for information on how to apply for a WWC Check.