Director (film television radio or stage)

What they do

Film, stage and television directors are responsible for shaping the creative aspects of films, stage productions and television shows. They read and interpret scripts and turn those scripts into live, filmed or broadcast productions. They make decisions in conjunction with producers, cinematographers, and editors and designers, and provide creative guidance to actors, dancers, hosts and other performers. Directors also coordinate the activities of studio or stage crew and technicians, to ensure that all technical elements of a production are correct. Film, stage and television directors work all over the state, either filming in any of our State’s stunning locations, or bringing professional productions to audiences in our cities and towns.

Working conditions

Film, stage and television directors work in film and television studios, theatres and other performance spaces, and on film or television sets in actual locations. When working outside they generally require specific, usually clement weather conditions. They work long hours, often until late, and may be required to work on weekends or public holidays. They may be required to travel locally, across the State, interstate or overseas to shoot on location.

Tools and technologies

Film, stage and television directors use office equipment, as well as using laptop computers and mobile phones to stay in contact with key people in the entertainment industry. They also need to be familiar with many of the technical aspects of the filmmaking process, but not necessarily require any practical experience with the equipment involved.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a film, television, radio or stage director you usually need to gain a qualification in screen, film, media or a related area.

The Diploma and Advanced Diploma in Screen and Media are offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

Most universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses.

Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

Learn more about your study options.


Required registration and licensing


You may also be interested in