Delivery driver

What they do

Delivery drivers utilise vans, cars, bicycles, motorbikes and scooters to pick up and deliver goods. They assist with the loading and unloading of goods and ensure that they are safely stowed. They plan and drive from a loading location to an unloading location. They may need to use a two-way radio or other communication device. They may be involved with payments and receipts for services rendered. They may also need to perform maintenance on their vehicle. Some delivery drivers are self-employed and some work on a sub-contract basis.

Working conditions

Some delivery drivers work on a sub-contract basis and provide their own vehicle. Motorcycle and bicycle couriers almost always provide their own transport. Some delivery drivers wear a uniform. A delivery driver may work regular work hours and work week, or they may be required to work irregular hours depending on the job required. The latter is especially true if they are self-employed.

Tools and technologies

Depending on the area they work in, delivery drivers may need to be able to maintain their vehicle. They may also need to be able to use communication devices or mobile barcode scanner.

How do I become one?

Education and training

It is possible to work as a delivery driver without any formal qualifications and get training on the job. However, entry into this occupation may be improved by obtaining a qualification in driving operations or a related area.

The Certificate II and Certificate III in Driving Operations are available at Western Australian registered training organisations. Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

You can also undertake a traineeship in driving operations (level 2) or driving operations (level 3). The traineeships usually take between 12 and 24 months to complete. The driving operations (level 2) traineeship is available as a school-based traineeship.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a delivery driver in Western Australia you will need a valid driver's licence from the Department of Transport.