Contract administrator

What they do

Contract administrators are responsible for the administration and management of contracts for businesses or government departments. They must keep track of and facilitate reviewing all of the documentation, records of financials, key milestones and communications involved in the lead-up, duration and conclusion of a contract. They ensure that all parties adhere to their agreed requirements and report on progress.

They may also be involved in maintaining relationships with a variety of stakeholders, and managing conflicts of interest that might arise.

Working conditions

Contract administrators usually work at in an office environment. They spend a considerable amount of time interacting with and managing people, including sub-contractors and other stakeholders, either face to face or over the phone.

Contract administrators may work across a large range of different industries, such as construction, finance or aged care. They can work for a diverse variety of organisations in the public or private sector.

Tools and technologies

Contract administrators use business software and specialist contract management software to perform tasks such as record keeping, budget monitoring and general communications. They spend considerable time on the phone or using email.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a contract administrator, you usually need to gain a qualification in contract management, business law or a related field.

The Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Contract Administration), Diploma of Contract Management and Diploma of Procurement and Contracting are offered at TAFE Colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia. Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

You can also undertake a traineeship in building contract administration (level 4). The traineeship usually takes 24 months to complete.

You can also complete a degree majoring in business law.

Most universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.