Construction rigger

What they do

Construction riggers assemble, install, position and secure construction rigging such as working platforms, pulleys and winches used to undertake heavy lifting for construction projects. They determine the most effective manner in which to lift the object by examining it, determining its size and weight and deciding on the right equipment. They install and secure cables, ropes and other equipment like pulleys and winches, and erect cranes to assist in the job. They may also erect structural steel or concrete framework, as well as inspecting, repairing and maintaining rigging equipment. Construction riggers work all over the state, from large office buildings to mining sites and schools or hospitals in rural towns.

Working conditions

Construction riggers work on building and construction sites. They often work at heights, and conditions may be dangerous. They work in most weather conditions, excluding heavy rain or high winds. They usually work regular hours.

Tools and technologies

Construction riggers work primarily with rigging equipment such as ropes, chains, pulleys, winches and cables. They also use hand tools such as scaffold spanners and hammers, as well as ladders, safety harnesses and protective clothing such as helmets and work boots. Riggers may also drive vehicles that can be used for transporting rigging equipment, such as utility vehicles or flat-bed trucks.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a construction rigger, you usually need to gain a qualification in rigging.

Short courses in basic, intermediate and advanced rigging and the Certificate III in Rigging are available at Western Australian registered training organisations. Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

You can also undertake a traineeship in rigging (level 3). The traineeship usually takes 24 months to complete.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a construction rigger in Western Australia, you must obtain a High Risk Work Licence from WorkSafe.

Construction riggers working in the construction industry must undergo safety induction training and be issued with a Construction Induction Training Card (commonly known as a "White Card"). In WA, training is conducted by registered training organisations authorised by WorkSafe.

You may also be interested in