Civil engineering draftsperson

What they do

Civil engineering draftspersons assist in the research, design, operation and maintenance of civil engineering construction projects. Their work generally consists of preparing detailed drawings and plans for civil engineering work in support of engineering professionals. As such they plan and oversee the construction of public structures that aid transportation, water and sewerage, and other public amenities.

Working conditions

Civil engineering draftspersons may work indoors drawing up plans and technical drawings and designs in engineering firms, where they may work as part of a design team. Alternatively, they may work outdoors on construction projects, or overseeing the maintenance of civil engineering works and facilities. They work all over the State, from overseeing the construction of new office buildings in our busy cities, to buildings for new mining developments in key regional areas.

Tools and technologies

Civil engineering draftspersons are involved in the design and planning of engineering projects that will ultimately eventuate in the construction of a building or structure, so they need to be familiar with a range of technical drawing concepts and computer programs such as Computer Assisted Drawing (CAD) and 3-D imaging programs.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a civil engineering draftsperson, you usually need to complete a qualification in civil construction design or civil and structural engineering.

The Diploma of Civil Construction Design, the Diploma of Civil and Structural Engineering and the Advanced Diploma of Civil and Structural Engineering are offered at TAFE colleges throughout Western Australia. Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and My Skills to find a registered provider near you.

You can undertake a traineeship. The civil construction designer and civil and structural engineering draftsperson traineeships usually take 36 months to complete.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

You may also be interested in