Child care worker

What they do

A child care worker assists in the social, emotional, physical and educational developmental needs of infants and young children in child care centres, hospitals and educational centres. A child care worker will be expected to manage children's behavior and guide their social development appropriately, and provide assistance in preparing materials and equipment for educational and recreational activities. A child care worker will also entertain and educate children by reading and singing to them, as well as playing games.

Working conditions

Child care workers can work varied hours, and be expected to do shift work. They need to be able to stay on their feet for long periods. Their duties will vary depending on the age of the children in their care. For example, caring for a group of 0-3 year olds can be quite different to caring for a group of 4-6 year olds. Child care workers often share basic tasks, such as cleaning or food preparation, and work in teams. Their level of care will include assisting children with their daily routine including eating, toileting, sleeping and dressing.

Tools and technologies

A child care worker will use a range of educational and play equipment and materials daily, from playdough, paints, dress-up clothes, cardboard boxes, and large plastic playground equipment and musical instruments. Almost anything that is non-toxic and safe for children to manipulate and play with may be used.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a childcare worker, you need to gain a Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care or be actively working towards gaining it.

The Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care and the Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care are offered at registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

You can also complete a traineeship in early childhood educator. The traineeship usually takes 24 to 36 months to complete. The Early Childhood Educator (Level 3) traineeship is available as a school-based traineeship.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a childcare worker in Western Australia, you will need to obtain a National Police Certificate, and a Working with Children Check (WWCC) from the Department of Communities. You may also need to obtain a current Provide First Aid Certificate.

You may also be interested in