Child care centre manager

Also known as:

  • Child Care Centre Director
  • Child Care Coordinator

What they do

Child care centre managers provide care and supervision for young children by directing the operations and personnel of child care centres and facilities. Regular activities may include the tailored development and implementation of programs for children, the coordination of child care workers and volunteers, and active discussions with parents and clients. Child care centre managers might also be required to create programs and activities for children with special needs or those with a disability. They also run the business side of child care centres, so associated tasks might include bookkeeping and certain administrative duties.

Working conditions

This work environment tends to be noisy, and with typically so many children in their care, child care centre managers need to be aware of everything happening within their workplace at all times. Work hours tend to be regular.

Tools and technologies

Child care centre managers need to keep up to date with children's social development requirements, to ensure that the best practices are incorporated into any programs and activities provided. Aside from technologies such as spread sheets and bookkeeping programs used for administrative tasks, they also work with children's learning tools, aids and toys.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a childcare centre manager, you usually need to gain a qualification in early childhood education and care.

The Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care is offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.  To find a registered provider near you, browse the TAFE Admissions full time studies guide website and the My Skills website.

You can complete a traineeship. The early childhood educator (level 5) traineeship usually takes 36 months to complete.

You can complete a degree in education, majoring in early childhood education or early childhood studies.

All universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

Most employers will also require those working in management roles to have experience using leadership skills in a related industry or occupation.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Required registration and licensing

To work in childcare centres in Western Australia, you will need to hold a current Provide First Aid certificate. You may also need to undergo training in anaphylaxis management and asthma management.

To work as a childcare manager in Western Australia, you will need to obtain a Working with Children Check (WWCC) from the Department of Communities. You will also have to obtain a National Police Certificate.

Find out more about the WWCC at the Department of Communities website.