Cafe or restaurant manager

What they do

Café or restaurant managers organise, run and oversee the activities of businesses that sell and serve food and beverages to the public, such as cafes, restaurants and fast-food outlets. They hire, train and supervise staff, organise budgets, plan menus with cooks/chefs, supervise the purchase and storage of food, make and maintain financial records, and coordinate the activities of the kitchen, dining room and bar. Café or restaurant managers may also need to help in serving food and drinks to customers.

Café or restaurant managers work all over Western Australia, in all types of establishments.

Working conditions

Café and restaurant managers work in restaurants, cafes, cafeterias, bars taverns and hotels. Conditions may be hot, noisy and stressful, and they are often required to work long hours including evenings, weekends and public holidays. They spend a lot of time standing, and may be required to lift or carry heavy objects. Their role may involve travel to suppliers, other food service outlets or businesses.

Tools and technologies

Cafe or restaurant managers need to be familiar with the equipment that is used in the preparation of food and beverages in their particular place of business. However, they also need to be familiar with office equipment such as computers, phones and fax machines.

How do I become one?

Education and training

It is possible to work as a café or restaurant manager without any formal qualifications and get training on the job. However, entry into this occupation may be improved by obtaining a qualification in hospitality. Most employers will also require those working in management roles to have experience using leadership skills in a related industry or occupation.

The Diploma and Advanced Diploma of Hospitality Management are offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia. To find a training provider near you, browse the Jobs and Skills WA website or visit the My Skills website.

You can also study a degree in hospitality management, tourism or a related field. All universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.