Building insulation installer

What they do

Building insulation installers fit various forms of insulation in the walls, ceilings and thermal bridges (such as metal cross beams) of homes and commercial buildings to improve their energy efficiency. They decide on the most appropriate type of insulation required for a job, depending on cost and building type. They cut, fit and finish the insulation, placing it either into partially completed walls and ceilings, or completed buildings. They also install both acoustic and thermal environment protection systems. Building insulation installers work throughout Western Australia - on construction sites, and in completed homes and commercial buildings.

Working conditions

Building insulation installers work on-site in homes, offices, schools and a range of other commercial and industrial buildings. They may work on buildings that are under construction - or established buildings, refitting or reinstalling insulation. They are often required to work in cramped spaces, and at heights. Conditions may be hot and dusty, and if working outside they may be exposed to the elements. They usually work regular hours but may be required to work longer hours on certain projects.

Tools and technologies

Building insulation installers use a wide range of hand tools to install insulation, including knives, saws, tape measures, wire cutters, pliers and wrenches, scissors, trowels, staplers, rulers, compasses, levelling planes and trimming blades. They work with bulk insulation such as batts and blankets, which may be made of materials such as glass wool, rock wool, natural wool or polyester, as well as other forms of insulation such as polyester boards and reflective foil laminate. They may need to wear safety equipment such as gloves, boots, goggles and hard hats.

How do I become one?

Education and training

It is possible to work as a building insulation installer without formal qualifications and get training on the job.

Required registration and licensing

Building insulation installers working in the construction industry must undergo safety induction training and be issued with a Construction Induction Training Card (commonly known as a "White Card").In WA, training is conducted by registered training organisations authorised by WorkSafe.