What they do

Baristas specialise in making coffee, as well as tea and a range of other beverages. This has become a very ‘artistic’ occupation with many baristas competing to perfect the best tasting, and looking, cup of coffee. Baristas may take customers' orders, prepare and serve drinks, and provide information to customers about the content or preparation of their order. They also clean the beverage and food-making equipment, collect payment from and give change to customers, and monitor the amount of stock. Baristas work in cafes and restaurants across the State.

Working conditions

Baristas work mostly in cafés and coffee shops, but may also work in restaurants, bars, or other food service establishments. Their workplaces are usually busy and may be noisy. They usually work shifts, which includes early mornings, late nights, weekends and public holidays.

Tools and technologies

Baristas need to be able to operate coffee machines, as well as food preparation equipment such as sandwich makers. They are often also required to use cash registers, and EFTPOS and credit card machines.

How do I become one?

Education and training

It is possible to work as a barista without any formal qualifications and get training on the job. However, entry into this occupation may be improved by obtaining a qualification in hospitality or undertaking a specialist barista training course.

 The Certificates II and III in Hospitality are offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

 Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

 It is also possible to complete a traineeship in hospitality – food and beverage. The traineeship usually takes 24 months to complete.

Learn more about your study options.



Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Required registration and licensing