Bank worker

What they do

Bank workers assist customers with all their general banking needs. They may accept money, bank cheques, accept deposits and credit card payments, provide change and convert foreign currency. Everything they do is recorded and all monies have to be balanced at the end of the day. They may also assist customers with loans or insurance queries or refer them to a more appropriate employee. Bank workers may find employment in banks, building societies or credit unions.

Working conditions

A bank worker would usually work regular hours, Monday to Friday. Some building societies and credit unions also operate on the weekend.

Tools and technologies

Bank workers need to become proficient at using the computer system used by the bank, or other type of financial institution, that employs them.

How do I become one?

Education and training

It is possible to work as a bank worker without any formal qualifications and get training on the job. However, entry into this occupation may be improved by obtaining a qualification in financial services or a related area. The education and training requirements for this occupation are undergoing a formal review. This may or may not lead to changes in the requirements.

The Certificates II, III and IV in Financial Services, are offered at TAFE Colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia. Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

You can also complete a traineeship in financial services (level 2, 3 or level 4). The traineeships usually take 6 to 18 months to complete, and the financial services (level 2 and 3) traineeships are available as school based traineeships.

You can also complete a degree in business or commerce with a major in banking or finance. All universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested for more information.

The Bachelor of Commerce, majoring in Finance and Financial Planning at Curtin University is currently the only undergraduate degree in Western Australia approved under these standards by the Financial Adviser Standards and Ethics Authority.

The list of approved and relevant courses available in Western Australia may change over time. Contact the Financial Adviser Standards and Ethics Authority for more information.

Following your studies, you will be required to undertake a professional year, which includes 100 hours of training, and pass the Financial Adviser Standards and Ethics Authority exam.

Note: bank workers who provide personal advice to retail clients about certain financial products need to adhere to the professional standards for financial advisers introduced by the Australian Government on 1 January 2019.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.