Audiovisual technician

What they do

Audiovisual technicians set-up, operate and maintain audiovisual equipment used in film, television and theatre production. They assist film, television and theatre production crews in the filming, broadcasting or staging of films, television programs and live performances. They may also work with music producers offering technical support during the recording of music and sound works. They assemble and operate equipment that is used in the recording, mixing and editing processes, and in audiovisual projection for live performance or public presentations. Audiovisual technicians work mostly in major cities and occasionally larger regional centres where there may be a need for audiovisual production and presentation.

Working conditions

Audiovisual technicians may work on film and television sets, in the studios or workshops of video or sound recording and editing facilities, or in the audiovisual departments of organisations such as universities or large companies. When working on-set, their hours may vary, but if working in recording facilities or audiovisual departments they usually work regular hours - they may be required to work longer hours at times. They may also be required to travel to venues and work outdoors on the installation and operation of audiovisual presentations.

Tools and technologies

Audiovisual technicians need to be familiar with a wide range of audiovisual equipment, the components they are comprised of and that connect them together. They use audiovisual equipment for recording, production, mixing and for live presentations. They also use a range of electronic testing equipment, as well as electrical hand tools to install and maintain these.

How do I become one?

Education and training

It is possible to work as an audiovisual technician without any formal qualifications and get training on the job. However, entry into this occupation may be improved by obtaining a qualification in media for film and television, or technical operations for live production, theatre and events.

 The Certificate III in Screen and Media (Film and Television), and Diploma of Screen and Media (Film & Television) are offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia. The Diploma of Live Production and Technical Services is available at the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts through Edith Cowan University.

 You can also study a degree in media, film or screen production. Most universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

You can also undertake a traineeship in live production, theatre and events (level 2). The traineeship takes 12 months to complete and is available as a school-based traineeship.

Learn more about your study options.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Required registration and licensing