Vocational education and training (VET) lecturer

What they do

Vocational education and training lecturers teach one or more subjects to students attending training institutions such as TAFE and private registered training organisations. They develop and write course content and present lectures, as well as planning and conducting tutorials, seminars, workshops and other practical teaching activities. VET lecturers also prepare and mark assignments, examinations and other course work, advise students on their course work, and undertake administrative tasks. They may also serve an advisory role in the industry or field in which they teach. VET lecturers work all over the state, in educational institutions in regional centres from the South West to the Kimberley.

Working conditions

VET lecturers work in the offices, lecture theatres, workshops and classrooms of vocational education and training institutions. They usually work regular business hours, but may be required to work later if their classes are scheduled for late afternoons or early mornings. They are usually required to offer competency-based training in their area of expertise, which includes both practical and theoretical learning in a simulated or real workplace environment. They may be employed on either a full-time or a part-time basis. Full-time VET lecturers usually work on-campus most of the work week, whereas part-time lecturers may be on campus only during those times that they are teaching. VET teachers who do not train full-time may also work in the field in which they lecture.

Tools and technologies

VET lecturers use computers, and especially word processing, power point and spreadsheet or data management software. They use overhead projectors and other audio-visual equipment in lectures and tutorials. They may also demonstrate the use of other equipment that is used specifically in their field of expertise.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a vocational education and training (VET) lecturer you usually require significant practical or industry experience in your chosen field. However, the required qualification for all VET lecturers is the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment. VET lecturers who do not hold this qualification must complete it within two years of commencing their employment.

The Certificate IV in Training and Assessment is offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia. Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and My Skills to find a registered provider near you.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a VET lecturer in Western Australia, you will need to obtain a Working with Children Check from the Department of Communities and undergo a National Police History Check conducted by the Department of Education Screening Unit.