Speech pathologist (Aus)

What they do

Speech pathologists diagnose, treat and provide speech management programs to people of all ages with language or speech difficulties. These programs could be education programs for parents, play-based activities for children or muscle retraining exercises to improve swallowing, eating or drinking skills. Speech pathologists may work with young children, older children or adults who have speech difficulties because of an injury, illness, congenital condition or a stroke.

Working conditions

A Speech pathologist's normal workday would be 9 to 5, Monday to Friday. However, in some cases evening or weekend work may also be required. Most Speech pathologists work in an office in the public sector This could be in a school, hospital, nursing home or community centre. Some Speech pathologists go into private practice.

Tools and technologies

Speech pathologists may be involved with technologies associated with the acoustic analysis of voice and speech, and the control of movement for swallowing and speech. They may also use new technologies for speech recognition or electronic communication.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a speech pathologist, you usually need to study a degree in speech pathology.

Curtin University and Edith Cowan University both offer a four-year Bachelor of Speech Pathology. These are the only universities offering degrees in speech pathology in Western Australia. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a speech pathologist in Western Australia, you may need to obtain a current Working with Children Check issued by the Department of Communities.

You may also be interested in