Settlement agent

What they do

Settlement agents advise clients on the sale of their property and prepare all documentation. They conduct required searches with government departments. They attend at the exchange of contracts on settlement day. They may also prepare and advise on lease documentation.

Working conditions

Settlement agents normally work 38 hours, Monday to Friday in an office.

Tools and technologies

Settlement agents need to be proficient with computers and software specific to their discipline.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a settlement agent you need to complete an accredited qualification in conveyancing.

The Diploma of Conveyancing is no longer offered at TAFE Colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia, but may be available to study interstate.

Once qualified, registration and licensing is required in every State with conveyancers needing to undertake ongoing professional development each year to retain their licence.

For further information about becoming a conveyancer, registration and licencing in Western Australia contact the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS) - 08 9361 1166.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a Settlement Agent in Western Australia, you will need to obtain a Settlement Agent’s Licence from the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety