Roof plumber

What they do

Roof plumbers install gutters, downpipes, flashings and rainwater tanks on residential, commercial and industrial buildings throughout Western Australia. They work with roofing structures that are made from metal, polycarbonate, fibreglass or glass, or have waterproof membranes. They may also install roof sheeting and wall cladding.

Roof plumbers interpret technical drawings to install roof drainage systems for roofs of various angles on residential projects. They also calculate the correct pitch and size of roofs to ensure water tanks capture the maximum amount of rainwater.

Working conditions

Roof plumbers work outdoors on roofs of varying heights. They work in a variety of weather conditions and particular care must be taken in wet and hot weather. They wear protective clothing and follow strict safety procedures to minimise any associated risks.

Roof plumbers usually start work early in the morning, and may be required to work on weekends. They may be required to travel between worksites.

Tools and technologies

Roof plumbers cut, bend and join pipes using tools such as hacksaws, tin snips, copper tube cutters and pipe benders. They use power tools to join sheet metal and secure downpipes. They also install equipment such as heating and cooling systems, water tanks and solar water heating systems.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a roof plumber, you usually need to undertake an apprenticeship in roof plumbing. The apprenticeship usually takes 48 months to complete and is available as a school-based apprenticeship.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a roof plumber within the construction industry, you will need to obtain a Construction Induction Card (commonly known as a “white card”) from a registered training organisation authorised by the WorkSafe Division, Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.

You may also need to obtain a High Risk Work Licence from WorkSafe if you are involved in work that is classified as high risk.

In Western Australia, subcontractors carrying out construction work valued at more than $20,000 must be accredited or work under the supervision of someone who is accredited, as a registered building practitioner. Contact Building and Energy for more information.