What they do

Handypersons carry out repairs and maintenance of their clients' homes or workplaces. They undertake a range of maintenance duties, such as clearing gutters, repairing broken fixtures or fittings, painting and plastering, fitting, maintaining or repairing irrigation systems, replacing light bulbs, repairing or replacing ceiling or exhaust fans and filters, cleaning smoke detectors and erecting shelving units or other built-in furniture. They may also carry out gardening duties such as weeding, digging, planting and pruning. Handypersons work all over the State, however, most are employed in Western Australia's cities and larger towns.

Working conditions

Handypersons work mostly outdoors, but may also undertake maintenance duties indoors. They work in and around the homes and workplaces of their clients. They usually work for themselves, or may be employed by a larger firm with a number of employees. They usually travel locally to attend jobs. They undertake a large amount of manual labour and may be required to stand for significant periods of time, or to undertake heavy lifting. They usually work long hours, which may involve early mornings and late afternoons. Because they may work for themselves, their workload corresponds with the demand for their services.

Tools and technologies

Handypersons use a range of hand tools including screwdrivers, saws, spanners, paintbrushes, and hammers. They also use gardening equipment, such as shovels, rakes, lawnmowers and leafblowers. They use power tools including drills, power saws, chainsaws and sanders. They also use ladders, wheelbarrows and trolleys. Handypersons may be required to drive a utility vehicle, truck or van. They may be required to wear safety equipment such as goggles, gloves or boots, depending on the work they are undertaking.

How do I become one?

Education and training

It is possible to work as a handyperson without any formal qualifications.

Experience and skills in a range of building, construction and maintenance-related trades would be an advantage.

Entry into this occupation may be improved by obtaining a qualification in building and construction, construction pathways or a related area.

The Certificate II in Construction Pathways and Certificate II in Building and Construction (Pathway – Trades) are offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia. Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

You could also undertake a traineeship in building maintenance (level 2) or building and construction trade (level 2). The traineeships usually take 12 months to complete, and are available as school-based traineeships. 

Required registration and licensing

A current driver's licence is usually necessary.