What they do

Glaziers cut, shape, install, repair and decorate glass and glass fixtures in homes and other buildings. They measure and assess the area requiring the glass, cut or trim the glass and fix it into place. Glaziers may also treat glass by smoothing its edges using belt sanders and applying treatments, films or decorative solutions. They may work on houses and other small buildings and fit glass panels themselves, or they may fit heavy glass windows to skyscrapers or other large buildings, as part of a team. Glaziers also repair and maintain broken windows and glass fittings.

Working conditions

Glaziers work in a variety of locations, from workshops and factories to building and construction sites, and clients’ homes. They generally work regular hours, however, overtime may be required. Some glaziers may be required to be on call 24 hours a day, in case of emergencies. Glaziers may work anywhere across the State, installing anything from large glass panels in large scale office buildings in inner-city locations, to windows in new homes, throughout the metropolitan and regional areas.

Tools and technologies

Glaziers use a range of tools including glass cutting blades, gauges, cutting oil, sealants and applicators, abrasives and lubricants, lifting and mounting equipment and accessories such as tape, measuring equipment, bevels, point drivers, pry bars, knives and scraping equipment. They also use more generic hand tools such as hammers, chisels, drills, screwdrivers and spirit levels. They may be required to wear safety equipment such as gloves, goggles and work boots.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a glazier, you usually need to undertake an apprenticeship in glass and glazing. The glazier and glass processor apprenticeship usually takes 36 months to complete and is available as a school-based apprenticeship.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a glazier in Western Australia, you may need to obtain a registration from the Building Commission of the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety if you are involved in building-related work in excess of $20,000, or work under the supervision of someone who is accredited as a registered building practitioner. 

To work as a glazier within the construction industry, you will need to obtain a Construction Induction Card (also known as a “white card”) from a registered training organisation authorised by the WorkSafe Division of the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.